269 Colburn Lab
Dr. Kloxin`s research focuses on monomer and polymer synthesis, click polymer chemistry, self healing materials, stimuli-responsive polymers, and synthetic nucleic acids.
Dr. Kloxin`s group is interested in several polymer-based research areas including: (1) stimuli-responsive materials for materials-healing; (2) novel photopolymerization and photocoupling reactions for spatiotemporal materials fabrication; and (3) synthetic nucleic acids for gene diagnostics and therapies as well as nanoparticle assembly. In each case, Dr. Kloxin`s group designs and synthesizes the materials from the monomer up to precisely tune the molecular architecture. The group then utilizes an array of characterization techniques, such as rheometry, scattering, and microscopy, to understand the relationship between the underlying microscopic structure and the macroscopic property. This latter process informs the direction for monomer design and synthesis to optimize the desired property for a specific application.
Kloxin Research Group Website
- C.J. Kloxin, T.F. Scott, H.Y. Park, and C.N. Bowman, "Mechanophotopatterning on a Photoresponsive Elastomer", Advanced Materials23 (17) 1977-1981 (2011) DOI: 10.1002/adma.201100323. This work was featured in Nature "News and Views" by Prof. Huck 472 (7344) 425 (2011) DOI: 10.1038/472425a
- B.J. Adzima, Y. Tao, C.J. Kloxin, C.A. DeForest, K.S. Anseth, and C.N. Bowman, "Spatial and temporal control of the alkyne-azide cycloaddition by photoinitiated Cu(II) reduction", Nature Chemistry 3 (3) 258-261 (2011) DOI: 10.1038/nchem.980
- B.J. Adzima, C.J. Kloxin, and C.N. Bowman, "Externally triggered healing of a thermoreversible covalent network via self-limited hysteresis heating," Advanced Materials 22 (25) 2784-2787 (2010) DOI: 10.1002/adma.200904138.
- C.J. Kloxin, T.F. Scott, B.J. Adzima, and C.N. Bowman, "Covalent adaptable networks (CANs): A unique paradigm in crosslinked polymers," Macromolecules 43 (6) 2643-2653 (2010) DOI: 10.1021/ma902596s.
- C.J. Kloxin, T.F. Scott, and C.N. Bowman, "Stress relaxation via addition-fragmentation chain transfer in a thiol-ene photopolymerization," Macromolecules 42 (7) 2551-2556 (2009) DOI: 10.1021/ma802771b.
- B.D. Fairbanks, T.F. Scott, C.J. Kloxin, K.S. Anseth, and C.N. Bowman, "Thiol-yne photopolymerizations: Novel mechanism, kinetics, and step-growth formation of highly cross-linked networks," Macromolecules 42 (1), 211-217 (2009) DOI: 10.1021/ma801903w.